To control smart home devices with Alexa, make sure they are named right. There are a lot of ways to rename smart home devices, one of them is using the device’s app. This method produces the same result but it is not the easiest way.
To rename your smart home device with the Alexa app,
- Open the Alexa app and tap the menu button at the top-left corner of the screen.
- Tap “Smart Home” from the menu.
This will provide a list of all your smart home devices.
- Tap the one you intend renaming.
- On the device page, tap the button in the top-right-end corner.
- A Device Settings page will open. On that page, tap “Edit Name”.
- Tap the “X” icon or the backspace button to delete the current name, after which you type in the name you want for the device and tap “Done” to save the name.
Note that this only changes the name of the device in the Alexa app. If you open the device’s app, you will find it still uses its original name.