Ever since we crossed into November, I have been way happier than I was in most months.
No, this is not my birthday month – and I am not celebrating any anniversary either. If you haven’t been checking important upcoming events on your calendar, though, you might not know that we are getting into the gifting season.
Black Friday sales are coming up, we are steady entering the Yuletide season and the holidays are just around the corner. So that you don’t get stranded when coming up with gifts for your loved ones, though, we have developed this digital gift guide for you.
What are Digital Gifts?
Technology has changed the way we do a lot of things – from basic cooking of our food to how we see the world too. One of the best things that come with technology is e-commerce, and that has spawned into a new form of purchasing which brings about digital gifts.
Thus, as the name implies, digital gifts are those presents you get for your friends, family and loved ones without ever having to be in the same physical location as them.
Besides the obvious location advantage, there are a handful of other things that makes digital gifts an ideal pick for you this gifting season.
Some of the biggest reasons I vibe with, so to speak, are:
1. Minimization of Plastic Wrapping Damage
If you care about the environment, you will know that we currently have too much plastic waste than we should be dealing with. Seeing as plastic is non-biodegradable, and this part of the world doesn’t have a solid recycling system in place, it just makes sense not to contribute to the environmental rot even further.
This can be achieved with digital gifts since they do not need to be wrapped or unwrapped before sending them to a recipient.
Speaking of wrapping…
2. Ease of Deliverance
Digital gifts can be sent in the nick of time. Since they are delivered online, you can purchase them at any time and send them instantly. This makes it more convenient and faster than other forms of gifts which can take many days to arrive, or not even arrive at all.
Besides, you also get to save on shipping costs which would have been associated with many other gifts. Since an email delivery is what most of these digital gifts require, you can get a better value for your money when you purchase one.
3. Last-Minute Purchase
So, you forgot to get something for Kunle, and it’s now too late? The pair of shoes you’d like to order for Funmi won’t get here in another two weeks, and you’d prefer to get it in one? Don’t fret.
Browse the list of gifts we have curated for you below and they can be delivered the very instant you get them. This way, even if you forget a friend’s birthday, omitted their name from the shopping list or any of such mistakes, you can always make up for it in the last instant.
When gifting people, you are always faced with the decision of getting something which they will appreciate, and not just toss into the bin. This means evaluating the interest of the receiver, and deciding if they don’t have a substitute for what you are getting them too.
No wonder the best of us get headaches when choosing the ideal gift for others.
Fortunately, the chances of discarding a digital gift are very low. They make for the perfect and most thoughtful presents for people who have material abundance too.
Digital Gift Options to Consider This Season
Now that you know what digital gifts are, and why they are great at all, it’s time to look at the wide array of picks out there. To make this list easier to browse, the different digital gift options have been classified into different sections and categories.
Here goes something:
1. Subscription Plans
The internet in this part of the world is maturing fast, and we are now people using subscription-based services like never before. Thus, it would make sense to get someone a subscription to some of their favorite packages, platforms, apps, and services.
Some of the subscription-based services, on and off the net, which you can gift a loved one this season include:
- Cable TV – you can put a smile on someone’s face by handling their DSTv/ GoTv subscription for a couple of months. I recommend going for the premium plans on any of these, and subscribing in quarters (3, 6, or 9 months to a year). Trust me when I say they will always remember you for this gift whenever they are enjoying their content on TV.
- Video platforms – services like Netflix are fast catching up in this part of the world. There are also other platforms like SlingTV, YouTube TV, PlayStation Vue, etc. which can also function as cable TV alternatives, especially if you have friends who live on-the-go.
With these, they can always have their entertainment handy on their smart devices whenever they want it.
- Music subscriptions – just about everyone I have come across loves their music. It might not be the same genre I vibe with, but music seems to be the universal language that we all speak.
There was a time when making a mix for someone was considered cool, but you might not know what kind of music they like that much. Thus, you are better off gifting them a fully-paid subscription plan to a music streaming service. For that, we have all of the Apple Music, Google Play Music, Tidal, Spotify and more to choose from.
- Software Packages – I recommend this for your friends who are entrepreneurs.
Whether they work from home or have just launched their small business on-site somewhere, there would be certain apps that they depend upon for smooth sailing of their work. For someone like me, my yearly MS Word and Grammarly subscriptions are as important as anything else.
Depending on what kind of business your friends run, how about you chip in your little quota by handling their next package subscriptions? You don’t know how much that will do for them.
- Applications – every internet user should have access to certain utilities for proper protection. One of these is antivirus software which already comes with most laptops and desktops today (although on free trials). You can also help your friend get a subscription to a top VPN solution – and this shows you are interested in their cybersecurity.
- Other platforms – seeing as large as the internet has grown to be, I simply cannot cover all the forms of possible subscriptions out there in this piece only. Your friend could be interested in quality journalism (e.g. The Guardian), amazing writing (e.g. Medium), etc. Find what it is, and get them an appropriate subscription plan to match.
The best thing with some of these subscription plans is that you can also enjoy them alongside your gift recipient – and at a discounted rate too.
Services like Apple Music and Netflix, for example, have cost-effective plans for multiple people using the platform under the same account. You can buy such multi-tier subscription plans and add the gift receiver too.
2. Gift Cards
It is never cool to gift someone money and leave it at that. If anything, it shows that you are not willing to put in the time and thought to get them something meaningful.
However, you can sometimes be stuck so much that letting the person get the best gift for themselves sounds like the ideal pick. In this case, gift cards make the perfect sense.
Although they are not outrightly money, they work as money substitutes. With them, you allow your loved ones to get themselves the perfect gift – and in a way, you got them that ideal present.
Here are some of the gift cards I recommend:
- Games – got a core gamer for a loved one? Fret no more. Find the gift cards to their favorite gaming platforms and send it to them. This is money they can commit towards paying for a game they love – and you would be the reason for the smile on their faces anytime they play such a game.
For this, you can choose to get Steam, Xbox and PlayStation gift cards. If the receiver plays on another console/ platform, a simple search should yield possible gift card options for such a platform.
- Music – gift cards can also be used to purchase singles and albums from different music streaming services. For example, Amazon gift cards and the iTunes gift certificates can be used to purchase from Amazon music and Apple Music services respectively.
Again, research what platforms the receiver is using and get them an appropriate gift card to match.
- Video – the likes of Netflix come with gift card options too. These can be committed towards buying/ leasing documentaries, series, and movies on the platform. Make sure the person you are buying for will appreciate this, though, since not everyone is using Netflix yet.
- Gadgets – websites like Newegg which are gadget-based also offer gift cards in different denominations. Depending on which ones you can afford, these gift cards can help subsidize your loved one’s next gadget purchase
- General merchandise – How about your digital gift becoming something physical? You can get that by offering gift cards from general eCommerce stores like Amazon, eBay, and Best Buy.
There are way more gift card options than the ones mentioned here. If you don’t find the unique niche you’d like to gift your friend or family member in above, a Google search should turn up more results.
Likewise, note that gift cards can be personalized for whoever you want to give them to – so don’t forget to use this feature for added effects to your present.
Just like digital gift cards, cryptocurrency is also a new-age alternative to gifting money.
The best thing about cryptocurrency is that they are now being accepted by a lot of eCommerce stores – and even some physical stores will take them. Besides, there is a high chance that the value of the cryptocurrency you get your loved one will go up in the future. Thus, see this as helping them make a valuable investment.
In another light, gifting someone some coins could also be the perfect introduction they need into the digital currency. Even though they have been hearing about it, they can now see first-hand how it works – and you don’t have an idea where that interest could lead them to.
PS If you don’t know about cryptocurrency yourself, I don’t recommend dabbling into this option.
How about helping your loved ones develop themselves even further? In this time and age where knowledge is surely power – and additional knowledge courts for a lot – personal development gifts will always be welcome.
Fortunately for you, there is just about every course out there on the internet, and they are taught by people who are worth their salt too. Additionally, these courses being available on the large scale means they will go for way less than you would have paid for them elsewhere.
If you don’t believe me, wait till you see a premium programming course on Udemy for less than NGN5,000.
Now that I’ve got your interest piqued, I’ll let the cat out of the bag:
- Udemy – arguably one of the biggest curators of courses on the internet right now, Udemy has just about everything you need to purchase for your recipient. The fact that they are now a known brand makes it possible for your recipient to flaunt the certificate they get from this platform on the successful completion of their course.
- Coursera – Coursera is amazing for the courses it offers in affiliation with top schools like Yale, Michigan University, and Stanford. Even top companies (like Google, IBM, and P&G) are leveraging the platform to train their employees too.
With courses at a very affordable rate, you might never give your loved ones a better present than a suitable course on this platform.
- PluralSight – Logging over 6000 courses in their catalog, PluralSight prides itself on being the one-stop-shop for most online web design courses and tutorials out there. Coming with offline access and live mentoring sessions too, you already know who benefits the most from this one.
- Codecademy – The name has already given off that this platform belongs to the coders out there. Does your friend want to start with programming at their own pace, or you’re interested in helping them level up? Look through Codecademy for possible courses they will be interested in.
- Udacity – The world is tending towards data science and such technology-based courses. For this, we are glad a niched platform like Udacity is here to make things easier for learners.
With teachers from leading companies like Salesforce and Facebook, you are sure your recipient is getting updated information from some of the very best in the business.
Quite a list, don’t you suppose?
The best thing about this list is that it is not even exhaustive yet. Thus, you can still make your research and come up with more digital gift options under the various categories mentioned here, and more.
If you have ever given someone a digital gift or found one in here which you’ll surely be sending to one of your friends/ family members, don’t be shy – share with us all in the comments.
Till next time…