To properly control smarthome devices with Alexa, you have to name them correctly.
There are many ways you can rename smarthome devices. One way is with the use of the device’s own app. For instance, with a Belkin WeMo smart plug, you head to the WeMo app and rename your smart plugs however you wish with say “space heater”, “bedside lamp”, or whatever the smart plug controls. But, this isn’t the easiest way.
With Alexa, you can rename all your smarthome devices in one place. Here’s how:
- Open the Alexa app, and then, tap the menu button at the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select “Smart Home” from the menu.
- You’ll see a list of all your smarthome devices. Select the one you intend renaming.
- On the page of the device, hit the small ellipses up in the top right corner.
- The Device Settings page opens, on that page, tap “Edit Name”.
- Tap on the “X” icon or backspace button to erase the current name, and type in your new name for that particular device. Tap “Done” to confirm the new name.
The changes will be saved automatically. Note that this renaming is only for Alexa. If you say, open up the device’s own app, the original name is what it will still use. By renaming it through Alexa app, all you did is tell Alexa that “space heater” actually means for instance, “smart plug 2”. Therefore, if you use both Alexa and the device’s own app, you have to rename it both areas.