There is now a new process to install fonts from the Settings app in Windows 10 apart from the Fonts tool in the Control Panel. Fonts can also be downloaded from the Store.
If you want to find these options
- Go to Settings, and click Personalization.
- On the Personalization page, click Fonts. There you get a list of all fonts on your PC with a search box.
This feature was included in the Windows 10 April 2018 Update. If you don’t have Fonts in your Settings app, you are yet to install the update.
To get more fonts in the Store:
- Click the link that says “Get more fonts in Microsoft Store.” This shows you a list of fonts that are free and ones you have to pay for.
- In order to download a font, click the one you want to install and then click “Get”.
Windows by default only installs fonts for languages you use. If you have an English version of Windows installed on your system, Windows installs fonts you need for Latin character sets and not the ones for other languages.
- Click “Download fonts for all languages” at the top right corner of the Fonts screen to install fonts for other languages.
These fonts take up more space on your hard drive, therefore if you must not, don’t install them.
To remove a font from your system:
- Click on the font.
- Next, click “Uninstall”.
On this screen, you can get a preview of the font you selected in various sizes. It also shows the path to the font file on your system.
We strongly advice against uninstalling installed fonts except you want them no more. A lot of fonts are incorporated in Windows and apps you install, thus, they are needed for appropriate display of installed apps.
If you wish, you could restore your default fonts, uninstall fonts you installed and even restore the ones you deleted.
Windows also allows you install font files in TrueType (.ttf), OpenType (.otf), TrueType Collection (.ttc), or PostScript Type 1 (.pfb + .pfm) format. Although, you can only do this by installing them on a File Explorer window and not from the Fonts pane in Settings.
To install a font file:
- Right-click the font file and select “Install” or
- Double-click the font in order to preview it, then click “Install.”
When you have done this, the font will be available in the Fonts window as well as other apps on your system.