Deleting a Header or Footer on the first page of your document
To remove a header of footer from the first page,
- Double-click the header or footer area to activate it.
By so doing, you activate the Header and Footer Tools section on Word’s Ribbon.
- On the Design tab of the header/footer tools section, select “Different First Page” check box.
With that, you have successfully removed the header and footer from the first page. You can write something if you wish.
Deleting a Header or Footer on Other Pages in Your Word Document
First, you have to create a different section in the document (say, one page), after that, change the page layout for the new section to landscape orientation.
- Place your cursor at the bottom of the page just before the page from which you want to remove the header or footer. For instance, if you want to remove the header or footer on page 3, place your cursor at the bottom of page 2.
- Head to “Layout” on the Word Ribbon, and click the “Breaks” button.
- On the dropdown menu, select “Next Page”.
Although it isn’t obvious, a section break was created where your cursor was placed and a new section began on the next page.
- Next, double-click the header or footer area on the page where you want to remove it.
- On the Design tab in the Header & Footer Tools section of the Word Ribbon, click the “Link To Previous” button. When you do this, the button is deselected and you’ve broken the link to the header and footer sections of the preceding document.
It’s important to note that if you want to delete both a header and footer from a section, you have to delete the text and break the links to the previous section for each of them separately.
- Next, delete the text from your header or footer.
When you go through your document, you will see that all the pages that follow that section break you created do not have the header or footer you deleted. So you need to create another section break and then recreate a header or footer for the next section.
- Place your cursor at the bottom of the page you want the header or footer removed just before the page want the header or footer to begin again.
- On the “Layout” tab, select the “Breaks” button, after that, click the “Next Page” option.
- Then, activate the header or footer at the bottom area on the first page of that new section.
- On the Design tab in the Header & Footer Tools area of the Ribbon, click the “Link To Previous” button. The button becomes de-selected again and you’ve now broken the link to the header or footer area of that new section that you created.
From this point, you just need to create a header or footer for the other pages in the document. If the materials are the same just like in the first section, all you have to do is copy and paste from that point and it will show in the remaining parts of your document.