Some years back, shopping online from Nigeria was very difficult, but now, everything has become simplified with the help of Nigerian commercial banks. Although not all commercial banks credit cards/debit cards are accepted online, but majority of them now works.
Majority of Nigerian commercial banks now issues Visa & Master debit/credit cards that works online. GTBank naira master card is a good example. I have used it to make payment on some popular websites online. But there are some risks involved with using it since it is directly linked to my savings account. Moreover, some websites still rejects it.
Check: GTBank SMS Banking: Check Your Bank Account & More on the Go
Last year, I discovered an awesome debit card that is accepted worldwide wherever you see Visa logo. The name of the card is UBA Africard. UBA Visa Prepaid card (Africard) is a debit card variant denominated in Naira and is pre-funded and re-loadable. It is internationally accepted in all Visa acceptance points (ATM, PoS & Web). Card holders do not need to have an account with UBA. Below are its benefits and features:
Features of UBA Visa Prepaid card (Africard)
- Real time banking transactions
- Balance enquiry
- Purchase at Pos
- Purchase on WEB
- ATM Cash withdrawal
- Pos cash Advance
- Mini account statement
- Card to Card transfer
- Worldwide acceptance: Visa Prepaid is accepted at millions of locations worldwide.
- Instant payment: Faster than writing cheque or running to ATM.
- Makes shopping simple: Book travel and shop online in addition to making your everyday purchases fast and convenient.
Benefits of UBA Visa Prepaid card (Africard)
- Creates a simple convenient alternative to cash or debit card payments.
- No need to open or have a bank account in order to have a Prepaid Card.
- The card issuance process is simplified.
- Provides better record keeping than cash (a history of transactions spent on the Prepaid Card is available on GTP card management system which is available on the internet).
- Increase the feeling of security as the Prepaid Card holder remain in control of the card during transactions – a personal identification number (PIN) is used alongside the Prepaid Card as well as an SMS Text Alert is received in real time with the transaction placed.
- Eliminates the need to carry large sums of cash.
- When cash is lost or stolen, the money is gone forever and in most cases cannot be recovered. In the case of a lost or stolen Prepaid Card, the value on the cardholder’s account remains intact and can be transferred onto a replacement card or another Prepaid Card.
- Allow for the non-banking population (non-account holders) to obtain a Visa Prepaid Card and become part of a financial world.
- Debit card holders afraid of using their debit cards on the Internet for purchases may obtain a Prepaid Card which can be used solely for that purpose and is not linked to their domicile account.
That is it about this UBA Visa Prepaid ‘AfriCard’. My next post will explain how you can get the card within one hour from any UBA bank branch.
Please after getting the card how do i active it before using it for online shopping site.
I AM SEYED MAJID MIRPADYAB FROM TEHRAN/IRAN.
I HAD RECEIVED AN UBA AFRICARD FROM THE ROYAL BANK OF BENIN WITH THIS NUMBER(4577 ).
PLEASE IF POSSIBLE YOU VERIFY THIS CARD AND TELL ME HOW MUCH IS INSIDE IT AND IS IT REALLY TRUE OR A FAKE CARD.AND IF IT IS TRUE,MUST I PAY ANY MONEY FOR ACTIVATE IT?IF YES,HOWMUCH MUST I PAY AND HOW?
I AM WAITING FOR YOUR SOONEST REPLY.
WITH BEST REGARDS.
SEYED MAJID MIRPADYAB.
@SEYED MAJID MIRPADYAB, there is no way for me to check your card status. Try to load money on the card.
I have a UBA Africard debit card do I have to pay for connection and activation?
How to check the account balance in the UBA Africard
@A.JOHN XAVIER, go to http://www.myubaafricard.com to access you balance and transaction history.
THE UBA AFRIARD IS THE BEST COS I USE IT IN MAKING AND RECIEVING PAYMENTS IN ALL MY ONLINE TRANSACTIONS.