You’ve probably seen different variants of the same phone before – especially flagship devices; ever wondered why? Well lemme shed some light on that. Whenever OEMs outside our borders(especially in the US and the UK) release a flagship device, they make contracts with mobile telecom providers. These deals help their subscribers purchase these pretty expensive phones quite easily. They spread the price of thee phones over a period of time(much like a loan); in some cases, you are required to make a down payment while in other cases, you get the phone with no added costs.
Sidenote: Nigerian telecom companies, hope you’re reading this! Even if you ain’t…. I’ll get back to you in a bit.
Back to the subject of Samsung and Marshmallow, the other major variants of the S6 edge have gotten OTA Marshmallow updates save for AT&T. Well, now they have been given one by Samsung. I don’t need to tell you that Marshmallow packs a lot of features that makes the Android experience quite seamless(and Samsung just had to skin it with touchwiz! not to mention bloatwares). Anyways, I’m not complaining; if I ever do get one, I’m sure I’ll look for a custom ROM from Cyanogen for mine – but that’s just me.
INSTALLING THE UPDATE
There are a couple of ways to install the update and I’ll go through them as precisely as I can. Before I do,
THINGS TO NOTE:
- I’d suggest you unroot your device and remove any custom recoveries before attempting this feat.
- Your battery should be charged to a reasonable extent; I’d recommend 5o% at least.
- Your phone might reboot a few times during the update process, its perfectly normal.
- DO NOT under any circumstances try to remove your battery or you could brick your device
- This method is applicable to any S6 device either locked or unlocked; but NOT rooted ones as I stated earlier.
Extra tip: Connect to WiFi before updating. Apart from reducing data charges, it is more stable.
- Updating through your mobile phone
- From the Home screen, touch Apps .
- Touch Settings .
- Scroll to and touch About device .
- Touch Software updates.
- Touch Check for updates.
- Touch OK.
2. Updating through your computer
- Download and install Smart Switch for your computer.
- Smart Switch for your PC
- Smart Switch for your Mac
- Connect the cable to a compatible USB port on your computer.
- Connect the other end of the cable to your mobile device.
- Allow your computer to install any required drivers for your device. This process may take a few minutes.
- Open Smart Switch on your computer, and allow it to make the connection.
- If a software update is available for your device, Smart Switch will automatically prompt you to update. At any time, you can click Update.
If all goes well, all your data should be restored and you should be running Marshmallow. Enjoy!
*Off to write a mail to MTN, GLO, Airtel, Etisalat and Ntel to implement this type of deals in Nigeria*