First, make sure you have the backup service running on your current phone.
- Open Settings from the home screen or app drawer.
- Click to Backup & reset.
- Select Back up my data.
- Toggle Back up my data to On.
- Select Back to go back to Backup & reset.
- Check that the correct Google account is associated in Backup account.
- Toggle Automatic restore to On to restore settings and data when installing an app.
Now that you’ve enabled the Android backup service, your system settings and app data will be automatically saved to Drive. When you’re switching to a new phone, you can rely on the service to restore your settings, apps, and associated data.
How to restore apps and services on a new Android phone.
Restoring apps is straightforward if you’re using a phone running Lollipop and above. This setting is available to phones as they’re booting up for the first time, or after they’ve been factory reset.
- Select the arrow at the welcome screen to start setting up your handset.
- Select the System language.
- Log in to your home Wi-Fi network.
- Select Accept and continue.
You can easily copy your Google accounts, apps, and data from another device, but for now, we’ll not use this option.
- Log in to your Google account (make sure you have two-factor authentication enabled).
- Tap Accept to sign in to your Google account.
In the Google services page, you can select whether you want to enable the backup service for your account.
- Choose your preferences, and select Next.
- If you want to add another email account, you can do so in the “Add another email” Otherwise, just select “Not now”and click Next.
We now come to the “Which device?” section, which lets you select the device you want to restore from.
You’ll see a list of all your previous devices, and when you’ve last used them.
- Select a device to see all the apps available for restore.
- If you want to restore all apps and settings, tap Restore.
- Don’t want everything restored? Hit the arrow next to Restore all.
Selectively choose which apps you want to restore.
Hit Restore to retrieve apps and settings from the cloud.
You can now set up fingerprint security and enable Google Now.
That’s it! Once the initial setup is completed, apps and settings will be restored in the background.