Sometimes ago, a friend of mine told me Nokia phones could ping BlackBerry, then I was confused that how could this be possible, moreover will I take my Nokia phone to RIM to install a hardware/software on my phone? Has RIM acquired Nokia or are they now partners? And many more questions run through my head. But the application I was told that is capable of pinging then was WhatsApp, I then proceeded to research the application, how it works and what is capable of doing. During my research I was able to conclude that WhatsApp couldn’t ping BlackBerry as I thought, but if WhatsApp application is installed on a BlackBerry then both users could chat and the application is an alternative to BlackBerry Messenger for those that doesn’t possess one.
What is WhatsApp Messenger?
WhatsApp Messenger is a smartphone messenger available for iOS,BlackBerry OS, Android, Symbian, Series 40, and Windows Phone. WhatsApp uses your 3G or WiFi (when available) to message with friends and family. In addition to text messaging, users can send each other images, video and audio media messages. According to Financial Times, WhatsApp “has done to SMS on mobile phones what Skype did to international calling on landlines.
The main purpose of this post is to share the list of hand held devices that are compatible with WhatsApp messenger so that you don’t waste your time searching the internet may be you could find a compatible one for your incompatible device.
Note That: WhatsApp is free to download and try for the first year for all of the phone types except for iPhone. For iPhone users there is only a one-time charge when you first download the app. Other users have the option of subscribing to an additional year of service for $0.99 USD.
WhatsApp Messenger Supported Nokia S60 and Symbian phones:
- Symbian: X7 · E6 · N8 · C6 · C7 · E7 · 500 · 600 · 603 · 700 · 701 · 808
- S60 5th edition: Nokia 5800 · Nokia 5530 · Nokia 5230 · Nokia 5233 · Nokia 5235 · Nokia N97 · Nokia N97 mini · Nokia X6 · Nokia X5-01 · Nokia C6 · Nokia C5-03 · Samsung i8910 Omnia HD · Sony Ericsson Satio · Sony Ericsson Vivaz · Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro
- S60 3rd edition: Nokia 5700 · Nokia 6110 · Nokia 6120 · Nokia 6121 · Nokia 6124 · Nokia 6700 · Nokia 6290 · Nokia E51 · Nokia E63 · Nokia E66 · Nokia E71 · Nokia E90 Communicator · Nokia N76 · Nokia N81 · Nokia N81 8GB · Nokia N82 · Nokia N95 · Nokia N95 8GB · Nokia 5320 · Nokia 5630 · Nokia 5730 · Nokia 6210 · Nokia 6220 · Nokia 6650 fold · Nokia 6710 Navigator · Nokia 6720 · Nokia 6730 · Nokia 6760 Slide · Nokia 6790 Surge · Nokia C5 · Nokia E52 · Nokia E55 · Nokia E72 · Nokia E73 · Nokia E75 · Nokia E5 · Nokia N78 · Nokia N79 · Nokia N85 · Nokia N86 8MP · Nokia N96 · Samsung GT-i8510 · Samsung GT-I7110 · Samsung SGH-L870 · Samsung SGH-G810 · Samsung SGH-iNNN
WhatsApp Messenger Supported Nokia S40 series phones:
- Nokia C3-00 · Nokia C3-01 · Nokia X2-01 · Nokia X3-02 · Nokia X2-00
- Nokia Asha: 201 · 205 · 206 Single Sim · 210 · 300 · 302 · 303 · 305 · 306 · 308 · 309 · 310 · 311 · 500 · 501 · 502 · 503
WhatsApp Messenger for BlackBerry phones:
WhatsApp Messenger support any BlackBerry device that meets the following requirements:
- BlackBerry OS 4.6 or above
- BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) or BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES)
WhatsApp Messenger for Android:
WhatsApp Messenger support all Android phones provided they meet the following requirements:
- Android OS 2.1 or above
- Unlimited internet data plan recommended
- Tablet devices are not supported
WhatsApp Messenger for iPhone:
WhatsApp Messenger do not support tablets or Wi-Fi only devices at this time
WhatsApp for iPhone requires iOS 4.3 or later. For the best experience, we recommend you use the latest version of iOS available for your phone. Please read this Apple Support article to learn how to update your iPhone’s software.
Please note: iPod and iPad devices are not supported at this time.
We do not explicitly restrict the use of jailbroken or unlocked devices, but because these modifications may affect the functionality of your device, we cannot provide support for devices using modified versions of the iPhone’s operating system.
WhatsApp Messenger for Windows Phones:
Requirements to use WhatsApp on a Windows Phone are the following:
- Windows Phone 7.5 or later.
- An active internet connection.
Enjoy your chatting moments on WhatsApp Messenger!