A Full Review of DriverPack Solution, a Free Driver Updater Tool.
DriverPack Solution is a free tool for updating system driver, with just a few clicks, it finds the proper device drivers your computer needs and then automatically downloads and installs them for you without clicking through any wizards or installation prompts.
This program has two versions available. One is still in beta and uses the Internet to download and install the most recent version of the drivers you need, while the other is completely portable and supports offline use.
Note: Because there are two different versions of DriverPack Solution,As you read through our review, you’ll see the differences between using DriverPack Solution Online and DriverPack Solution Full.
Both downloads are from Drp.su, the developer’s official website
Note: This review is of DriverPack Solution Online version 15 and DriverPack Solution Full version 14.11.
More About DriverPack Solution
DriverPack Solution has all the driver updater tool features you’d expect, in two very different, but completely free, editions:
- Compatible with Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
- DriverPack Solution Online is a lightweight program that doesn’t take long to download and connects to the Internet for free online driver updates
- DriverPack Solution Full is a torrent download that downloads over 700,000 drivers to your computer in a single ISO file for near instantaneous, offline use
- DriverPack Solution Full is completely portable and can be launched from any folder or hard drive or portable device, like a flash drive
- More settings can be found under the Settings > Expert mode option on the left side of the program
- You can install all drivers at once or choose certain ones to install
- If you’d rather, you can manually install any driver yourself by clicking the appropriate icon on the right side of any driver DriverPack Solution finds, but the default option is to run automated installs
- DriverPack Solution separates unknown drivers, up-to-date drivers, obsolete drivers, and all installed drivers in the Misc tab so you can easily tell where everything stands
- In addition to regular driver updating, DriverPack Solution Full also lets you collect all the necessary driver updates your computer needs into one single EXE file, but without installing them. This is useful if you want to install the updates at a later time.
DriverPack Solution Advantages & Disadvantages
Each edition of DriverPack has a drawback that, while is understandable, could be a big concern depending on your situation:
- User friendly
- Supports automated, no-prompt installs
- Quick downloads
- Supports bulk downloads
- DriverPack Solution Full works even without an Internet connection
- DriverPack Solution Online provides more up-to-date drivers than the Full version
- Cannot hide drivers from showing up in future scans
- DriverPack Solution Online is a beta version that seems slow
- DriverPack Solution Full is over 8 GB in size, taking awhile to download
Views on DriverPack Solution
If you’re a little confused at this point as to the difference in the two editions of DriverPack Solution, here it is again:
- The Online version provides current driver versions for your devices and requires an Internet connection
- The Full version is a much larger initial download that has possibly outdated driver versions, it’s portable, and works without an Internet connection.
The obvious downfall to using DriverPack Solution Full is that it will take quite a long time to download. At over 8 GB and accessible only via a torrent file, it shouldn’t be your first choice between these two versions.