How to Opt-Out of Interest-Based Advertising and Stop the Ads from Following You.
Get a more ore better spiced knowledge as to the procedures to which you could easily opt-out of behavioral advertising or interest-based as well as keep off companies in the likes of facebook and Google from the act of displaying targeted ads on mobile phone or your computer.
Of course, you should be conscious of contextual advertising which involves the process of ads being served based on the content of the current web page. An example of this is the situation where you are on the ESPN website, the ads on the page could be connected to sports products.
Should you be reading a review of a mobile phone,there is the possibility that you see ads for other brands of phones or mobile accessories. The major point of interest however centers about interest-based or behavioral advertising in which ads are displayed according to your past online activity as well as interests.
To give you a practical instance of this, if you search for ‘hotels in Nigeria’ on a travel website, you will see that some websites you get to visit consequently many have ads bothering on Nigerian hotels. It doesn’t matter whether you are reading news on CNN, or even checking out cooking videos on YouTube or even as far as reading your Facebook newsfeed, there is the strong chance that the ads are to revolve around the same them – Nigerian hotels.
Saying this with different words, the ads follow you all about the Internet and may not even stop even if you have switched to a different website. Online advertisers, being aided with browser cookies, have the capacity to to track you across the web and then dish out relevant advertising to you.
How to Opt-Out of Interest-Based Advertising
Should you not really prefer web companies making use of your past online behavior to get a direction of ads to send to your computer, all hope is not lost as there is the solid chance to easily opt-out. Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, Amazon as well as other web advertising networks have simple practical approach to help you opt off targeted advertising.
1. Google – Simply Go to google.com/ads/preferences and make sure that the “Ads based on your interests” setting is turned off.
2. Microsoft – Visit choice.microsoft.com and then turn off the “Personalized ads in this browser” setting, this will now only allow generic ads. As for Windows users, they could click the “Start” button, and select Settings – Privacy and finally turn off “Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps” so as to cut off the personalized ads that are accustomed to appearing inside apps.
3. Amazon – Just in the same vein as Google, Amazon as well delivers interest-based ads on its own websites even as external websites. Go to amazon.com/gp/dra/info and then enable the setting that says “Do Not Personalize Ads from Amazon for this Internet Browser.” This is setting which is cookies based , hence is not linked to your Amazon account, and as such in the condition where you clear the cookies, your setting will be cleaned as well.
4. Yahoo – Yahoo provides an Ad Interest Manager (AIM) which gives you the option of opting-out of interest-based ads with just a click. Now go to privacy.yahoo.com/aim and proceed to choose the blue ‘Opt Out’ button to go about registering your choice.
5. iOS – On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Privacy > Advertising and then turn on Limit Ad Track so as to get you opting-out of interest based ads from iAd, Apple’s advertising network.
6. Android – Open the Google Settings app on your Android phone, tap Ads and enable Opt out of interest based ads.
7. Twitter – Go to Twitter Settings on the web and then uncheck “Tailor ads based on information shared by ad partners” so as to disable interest based ads. In close fashion, on the Twitter app, go to Settings > Select Privacy > Select Advertising > Enable the “Limit Ad Tracking” setting.
8. Facebook – Go to Facebook Settings, click Edit against the setting ‘Ads based on my use of websites and apps’ and select ‘Off’ for Show online interest-based ads.
How to Stop Interest-based Ads Altogether
If you have the preference of stopping interest-based ads from all companies on any website or device, I think it will be cool for you to make use of web-based tools say the aboutads.info and networkadvertising.org.